This year, the Audio Publishers Association has some special plans to celebrate June is Audiobook Month, which kicks off today. To learn more, I asked Katie Punia, public relations and events committee chair for the APA and director of publicity for Penguin Random House Audio, to stop by and share a post. Here’s Katie!
As part of a summer-long “A Good Audiobook Speaks Volumes” awareness campaign, dozens of authors have been invited to create videos sharing why they love audiobooks, including Chelsea Clinton, Whoopi Goldberg, Stephen King, Tyler Oakley, James Patterson, and many more.
Videos will be revealed throughout the coming weeks and used in an ongoing awareness campaign across the web this summer. Follow the Audiobook Community on Facebook, Twitter, and the #loveaudiobooks hashtag to check out the latest videos.
The APA also invites all audiobook listeners to join in on the fun and for libraries to share with their patrons. Here’s how you can participate in the campaign:
- Share links to campaign videos and embed in your library’s website and on social media using the #loveaudiobooks hashtag.
- Create your own video (you can find images and guidelines on the APA website here). Get your teen & tween patrons into the act!
- Share why you #loveaudiobooks with posts, photos, suggested title lists, and summer listening displays; encourage your patrons and followers to do the same.
- Change your social media avatar to the campaign logo for the month of June.
- Enter the campaign sweepstakes for a chance to win a year’s supply of audiobooks, a $250 American Express gift card and a pair of Bose SoundLink Bluetooth headphones.
While the audiobook format is still experiencing rapid growth (the APA’s most recent sales survey documented a 24% increase in unit sales of audiobooks in 2015), there are still many avid readers who haven’t tried listening—and summer is the perfect time of year to take audiobooks for a test drive on your next road trip, to catch up on reading during the school break with audiobooks, or simply listen while lounging by the pool!
Thanks so much, Katie! And stay tuned for more reasons to #loveaudiobooks here on Booklist Reader.