Cindy: The Los Angeles Times Book Prizes short lists were announced today–check out that link for news on all of the categories. Bookends’ own Lynn Rutan served as the chair of the Young Adult Literature jury along with Jonathan Hunt and Rollie Welch. The five books on their short list are:
Young Adult Literature
- Elizabeth Knox, Mortal Fire, Farrar, Straus and Giroux Books for Young Readers
- Rainbow Rowell, Fangirl, St. Martin’s Griffin
- Joyce Sidman, What the Heart Knows: Chants, Charms & Blessings, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Young Readers
- Jonathan Stroud, Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase, Disney-Hyperion
- Gene Luen Yang, Boxers & Saints, First Second/Macmillan
We won’t know which book is the winner until the night of the awards, on Friday, April 11, 2014, but it’s a great short list to ponder. Congratulations to each of the authors, and to Lynn and her committee.
The recipient of the 2013 Innovator’s Award, which spotlights cutting-edge business models, technology or applications of narrative art, is young adult writer and activist John Green. Green’s best-selling novels have garnered numerous awards and he has been at the forefront of experimenting with social media and technology, expanding how people in and out of the literary world use these mediums to inspire and teach others.