DFTBA – order author Green reading The Fault in Our Stars, a limited-edition audiobook only available through Green’s website. There’s great additional content for fans who love the book, as well as teachers who include The Fault in Our Stars in literature classes. And for audiobook aficionados, it would be cool to contrast the author-read production with the 2013 Odyssey Award-winning Brilliance Audio production featuring narrator Kate Rudd in an affecting performance. I served on the YALSA Amazing Audios committee that named Rudd’s reading of The Fault in Our Stars to our selection list, and can testify that her portrayal of Hazel is one of those rare audios with a perfect balance between excellence in literary & audio production. When I interviewed the producer & director of the Brilliance audio, Laura Grafton, her in-depth insights gave a fascinating look inside the audiobook’s creation. Here’s a note from John Green about his version:
A note from John Green:
Even though The Fault in Our Stars is narrated by a 16-year-old girl, Hazel Lancaster, hundreds of you lobbied for me to read an audiobook version even though I am a 35-year-old man. I, meanwhile, wanted there to be a proper audiobook read by a qualified (and female!) narrator. I worked with a director at Brilliance Audio in choosing the extraordinary Kate Rudd to narrate the REAL audiobook for The Fault in Our Stars. Kate’s rehearsal tape sounded so much like Hazel that I knew immediately she was the perfect Hazel.
HOWEVER: I heard the many of you who’ve asked me to read you this story, and thanks to the generosity and creativity of my audiobook publisher, THIS WILL INDEED BE POSSIBLE A SECOND TIME.
This limited-release, second edition box set is available only at dftba.com and only, as the saying goes, while supplies last.
The box set includes:
– Six CDs of me reading The Fault in Our Stars.
– One DVD including eight bonus videos in which I discuss themes from the book, visit settings, talk about different inspirations, and explore the ways the nerdfighter community shaped (and made possible) the story I ended up writing. This DVD is Region 0 and will play in any DVD player worldwide.
– A wristband for The Hectic Glow, a band so beautifully underground that they don’t even exist. (light blue, different from those received in 1st edition box sets)
– An awesome concert ticket for The Hectic Glow, a concert so epic that it never technically occurred.
– Four TFiOS-themed postcards designed by nerdfighters that you can send to your friend to brag that you own the John Green-narrated audiobook and they don’t.
– Also, all 3,000 copies are–get this–UNSIGNED.
Just a reminder, there will be no digital version, and this won’t be for sale elsewhere, because I don’t want it to compete with the real audiobook.