Book Spine Poem

Cindy: Over at 100 Scope Notes Travis is building a gallery of book spine poems. I was fascinated by this idea and had to try it out. Since this is Women’s History Month I decided to build on that and my love of storytelling. Here’s my found poem, “Every Girl Tells a Story.” Read down the stack of books, reading only the titles (a teacher of mine says this poem reads just as well from the bottom of the stack up–I wonder if she knows about reverso poems!:
spiny-girl-poem-sm1

I could easily get addicted to this activity. While scanning my library’s shelves for this poem, I got ideas for many more. Spine labels can be annoying, though, when they get in the way of good words! I’m thinking a book spine poetry contest is in order in April at my middle schools…

Lynn: Awesome, Cindy!  Now I’m two poems behind.  OK, I’m getting to work right now.

Comments

comments

10 Comments on "Book Spine Poem"

1. scopenotes@gmail.com' Scope Notes says:

Well done! I’ll add it to the gallery post haste. Not being much of a poet myself, I was surprised at how much fun I had trying to create a book spine poem. Nice call on having students try their hand at it in April – I think they’ll have a good time with it. Also, re: spine labels – I agree.

2. c.beumer@gmail.com' christina says:

This is such a marvelous idea! I want to incorporate it in my classroom too!

3. ziegeert@westottawa.net' Theresa Ziegeler says:

Another incredible find that our librarians can pass along through their modeling! We certainly are blessed with the best when it comes to resources for teaching and I’m not just talking about the books. Way cool, Cindy!!

4. labsnbooks@aol.com' Brenda Kahn says:

So talented and timely to boot. Hooray! You go girl!

brenda

5. rayhorn99@yahoo.com' Donna says:

I love this idea! My 6th grade gt kids and a group of 7th grade classes already signed up to do this for April. Great idea!

6. jmorgan@mail.flatrock.k12.mi.us' Jill Morgan says:

This is entirely TOO much fun! My high school book club members are creating a National Poetry Month display with their own book spine poems!

7. hudsonm@westottawa.net' Margaret Hudson says:

I am so grateful for this creative poem. As a middle school counselor I read this to my students when discussing their grades and to motivate them in choosing “cool” books for reading log assignments. We are so lucky to have all of these wonderful reads in our collection.