By October 18, 2009 9 Comments Read More →

Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks

clipplusbigCNET’s top pick? The iTouch. Runners up? Sansa Clip+, iPod Classic, Zune HD, and the Creative Zen. The best bargan? The Sansa Clip+, at $200 less than its rivals. Be sure to read the complete article by Donald Bell, CNET Senior Editor, for specific details about each unit. If you select one of the players Bell recommends, you are sure to get a player that automatically resumes playing at the spot where last turned off. Bell also notes the the availability of multiple bookmarks, verifies long battery life, and checks compatibility with major audiobook download vendors and file protocol. Kudos to CNET’s recurring articles on audiobook-specific technology!

compare_touch20090909

Comments

comments

Mary Burkey is an independent library consultant in Columbus (OH). An enthusiastic audiophile, she has served on all four of ALA's audiobook award committees as well as the Audies. In addition to writing the "Voices in My Head" column for Booklist, she is the author of Audiobooks for Youth: A Practical Guide to Sound Literature (ALA, 2013). Follow her on Twitter at @mburkey.

9 Comments on "Best MP3 Players for Audiobooks"

1. phall@ameritech.net' Paul Hall says:

I use an iPod and I really wish it had a bookmark feature.

2. jkearon@jerichoschools.org' Joan Kearon says:

I had that problem when I first started listening to books on my iPod. Then I realized that if I locked it when I stopped listening, it would power off on its own and hold the place. I can even listen to music and then go back to the book and it holds the place.

3. rieraney@gmail.com' M. Raney says:

But resuming at the power-down location is not all there is to bookmarking! What if I want to listen to some music and then go back to my book? I’d like to be able to mark a place in each book I’m reading and then come back to that place… It looks like Creative and Cowan players tend to have that capability, but boy it’s tough to figure it out since the marketing info on each product doesn’t usually include that kind of detail.

4. Mary says:

Boy, don’t I wish there was a way to figure out exactly the audiobook friendly features on units! The packaging doesn’t target us audiobook listeners – on either MP3 players or on CD players – remember those ;-)? I still listen to lots on a portable CD player – and am pretty rough on them. They are almost archaic technology now, and very hard to find ones that remember your spot when turned off1

5. hartlinda@excite.com' Linda Hart says:

Creative is the only company I know who has gone out of its way to make their players audiobook-compatible. Steve Potash, the president of OverDrive, Inc., has gone to their factories in Singapore to lay out the needs of the the audiobook listener–bookmarking, resume and ability to keep tracks in order. Their players natively play MP3 and WMA files, which makes them superior to any iPod out there. For a no-frills audiobook player for a reasonable price, see the Creative Zen Mozaic.

6. fcomert2@hotmail.com' polis klibi says:

7. gizlieee_sadasde_484e@hotmail.com' askmedya says:

Creative is the only company I know who has gone out of its way to make thei

8. maryturzillo@hotmail.com' Mary Turzillo says:

I don’t think CD audiobooks are an “archaic technology.” Our library has loads of them, and new titles are coming in all the time. I hate using my iPod. Teeny wheel, expensive downloads on Audible, compatibility issues galore, labor-intensive download process. Isn’t there a good CD player I can put in a fanny back and use to enjoy books on CDs? I need to be able to move around and also to pause and resume. I can’t be the only person in the US that wants to listen to CD books while lifting weights, loading the dishwasher, or cleaning cat-litter boxes. Any good suggestions? And if the darn thing costs a bomb, it better last more than a year!!!