Grand Rapids Press Sunday Profile features Cindy

CD-MAIN_SU_C_^_SUNIQCindy: Our local newspaper, The Grand Rapids Press (Mich.) runs a weekly feature called the Sunday Profile that provides a lengthy biography of someone in the community that has a passion for what they do. Earlier this summer I was surprised by Lynn’s collusion with one of the reporters who has covered our library exploits over the years and they recommended me for this feature. The reporter who did the story, Terri Hamilton, spent three hours at my home and an hour at one of Lynn’s and my summer BBYA teen book club meetings at school and also talked with Booklist editor Gillian Engberg and a past student to bring you this story that provides more than you would ever want to know about Cindy Dobrez in her little red roadster. You can read the article here. I feel a little odd posting about this, but how often does a librarian get a page and a half in the newspaper about their job? You can see the pdf of the front page coverage here, and the article continues inside to almost fill another page. I was happy to get to give some credit to Lynn in the article as well. Most of my professional achievements have come in tandem with her and the article could just as easily focused on her, although she’d have to get a tattoo! 😉

Several people have already asked about the large books in the photo. Lynn and I designed those while building the original Harbor Lights Middle School Library. The contractors had them built to our specs and then we had our students suggest titles and vote for the ones that would be permanently painted on the spines. They are usually standing upright with another set, flanking our security gates at the library exit.

Lynn: Cindy is my dearest friend, colleague and co-conspirator so factor that into my remarks but she deserves every word of praise in this article. It is so rare for librarians to get such good press that we decided to post this. I hope that those of you reading this who are not librarians will actively support the critical role of librarians in your schools and communities. Librarians can make an enormous difference for young people in so many ways and Cindy is one of the best!  Cindy inspires me and the teens in our area every day! I am NOT going to get a tattoo however 😉

Comments

comments

11 Comments on "Grand Rapids Press Sunday Profile features Cindy"

1. kgraff@ala.org' Keir says:

Congrats to the both of you! It’s a terrific tribute. We’re so happy to have you on Booklist Online.

2. judy.hauser@oakland.k12.mi.us' Judy Hauser says:

Cindy and Lynn – The article is GREAT!!! You are so deserving of this recognition. It is also great PR for media specialists. Btw, I have a tiki bar in my living room. Congratulations!

3. angela.craft@gmail.com' Angela says:

I said it on Facebook yesterday, but I’ll reiterate that this was a fantastic article, and every bit of praise is well-deserved. Terri and I ended up spending about an hour on the phone together as well and I feel like we barely scratched the surface!

4. scopenotes@gmail.com' Scope Notes says:

This was a lot of fun to read! Great to see you and your support of books and young readers take center stage. Congrats!

5. sryan@sararyan.com' Sara Ryan says:

Great article!

::waves at Angela:: And I have fond memories of that coffee date! 🙂

6. Cindy and Lynn,

What a wonderful profile! It is so accurate. I am so pleased to have worked with both of you at West Ottawa. As an elementary librarian and now a Middle School Librarian, I look forward to your reviews and your awesome programs. Thanks for being a Librarian, girls!!

7. hustonstbob@yahoo.com' Bob Townsend says:

I’ve thought about you two ladies many times since Grolier cut the legs out from under independent reps. The GR Press article is very well deserved. Now, with 11 year old and 14 year old granddaughters, I’ll check your list of best reads.
    Glad to see you are as chipper as ever. Have a good year.
    Maybe I’ll stop in some day. Carole and I now live in Hudsonville.

8. What a day this has been. Emails and congrats from far and wide. Thanks, all! I’m grateful to the GR Press for shining a light on a profession that many have deemed expendable as of late. Heed Lynn’s advice and fight for your school librarians in your community!

9. jbojda@cityofevanston.org' Janice E. Bojda says: