I am always looking for a fun activity to do with any number of book groups. They make great ice breakers for the attendees and also give me an idea of who my readers are. Those creative folks over at Tales from the Reading Room and Shelf Life have started a book ‘meme’. Certainly suitable for Facebook but also a great opening activity for a new book group or a refresher for a long standing one.
I’ve jumbled some of the topics a bit and added some of my own. Once you’ve answered all the questions, tag 150,000 of your closest friends, relatives, librarians, and various and sundry other book pushers.
Or you could just print it out and take it to book group next week.
- Which book has been on your shelves the longest?
- What is your current read, your last read and the book you’ll read next?
- What book did everyone like and you hated?
- Which book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?
- Which book are you saving for “retirement?”
- Last page: read it first or wait til the end?
- Acknowledgments: waste of ink and paper or interesting aside?
- Which book character would you switch places with?
- Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time)?
- Name a book you acquired in some interesting way.
- Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person?
- Which book has been with you to the most places?
- Any “required reading” you hated in high school that wasn’t so bad ten years later?
- What is the strangest item you’ve ever found in a book?
- Used or brand new?
- Stephen King: Literary genius or opiate of the masses?
- Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?
- Conversely, which book should NEVER have been introduced to celluloid?
- Who is the person whose book advice you’ll always take?