By December 6, 2008 7 Comments Read More →

Importing audiobooks to iTunes 8

One of the most popular posts from my pre-Booklist Audiobooker blog was a how-to description on ripping audiobook CDs to iTunes. The new iTunes 8 upgrade is a definite must for iTunes-using audiobooker lovers, as it includes MUCH easier importing of audiobooks to  iTunes, iPods, and iPhones allowing varible speed listening (slow, medium, or fast), automatically saving your place with bookmarks, and skipping your audiobooks when shuffling music tracks. You can even search for audiobook cover art. Use the audiobook import method to add any audio file, such as digital voice recordings from class lectures or interviews, to take advantage of the new features.

Cnet has a great post by Donald Bell “How to Create Audiobooks in iTunes” with step-by-step screen shots of the process. Michael Alderete’s Aldoblog is always a great resource for all things audiobooks, and he also has iTunes 8 tips in his post “iTunes 8 is Great for Audiobook Lovers.”

If you are giving someone special an iPod, iPod Touch, or iPhone for the holidays, be sure to pass along these links to the lucky recipient!

Comments

comments

Mary Burkey is an independent library consultant in Columbus (OH). An enthusiastic audiophile, she has served on all four of ALA's audiobook award committees as well as the Audies. In addition to writing the "Voices in My Head" column for Booklist, she is the author of Audiobooks for Youth: A Practical Guide to Sound Literature (ALA, 2013). Follow her on Twitter at @mburkey.

7 Comments on "Importing audiobooks to iTunes 8"

1. sbeauregard@ala.org' Sue-Ellen says:

Thanks for posting this, Mary. I still make my husband download my audiobook CDs onto my Ipod and no matter how many articles I read, I still have trouble doing it myself (and of course it’s easier to say, “Will you download such and such for me?”) I am convinced that Apple really didn’t consider (or care) that people would be downloading audiobooks from CDs as I don’t think they have made it very easy. And has anyone inadvertently hit shuffle and all of a sudden the audiobook tracks are totally out of synch?? I do love my Ipod for podcasts and even I can download those. I like listening to Meet the Press, which is whittled down to about 45 minutes after the commercials are taken out.

2. lynnrutan@charter.net' Lynn Rutan says:

My thanks too, Mary! I gave up using my little ipod for books and bought an MP3 player, leaving the ipod for music. The MP3 player is better but the whole process is still lengthy and irritating. I’m going to give this a try though! I NEED those audio books to get me on the exercise treadmill!

3. rlm@bluefrog.com' Rebecca says:

Hi Mary, thanks so much for your links to how to convert CDs to audiobook files in iTunes8! The instructions were great for this iTune newbie. However, what I’m still struggling with is how to combine multiple disc audiobooks into a single file? Right now, I have a file that iTunes combined 2 of the disks but they aren’t in order! So, how do I import the other 3 files into the original one so that I can play the audiobook straight through?

4. Mary says:

When I import, I rename the Album title of each CD like this: Nation1, Nation2, Nation3, etc. using the “Get Info” tab when selecting all the tracks & right-clicking. Plus, I always check “Part of a Compilation” using the “Options” tab. That seems to do the trick!

5. matthew.poliner@gmail.com' Matt says:

Hello…Thanks for the great info! I downloaded some books and have tried to get them under my Audiobooks tab, without any luck. I have put their type as Audio Book but am not sure what else to do! Thanks for the help!

6. andis8853@sbcglobal.net' Andrea says:

Hi…I am so glad that I can now see an organized grouping of my audiobooks in iTunes8. However, when I am looking in my iPod (80g Classic) in Music–>Audiobooks it is still just one big list of tracks, ordered by track number. They are not grouped first by Artist (author)–>Album (bookname).

Any suggestions? Is there something I missed that I still need to do. Also…should the Audiobooks menu on the iPod still be showing under Music vs. being its own menu like Music/Video/Photos/Podcasts are?

Any tips are appreciated!

7. Mary says:

Try highlighting all the tracks, right-clicking, and choosing “Get Info” – and add any information that you want to be able to sort.